Since I really love Emma Stone (especially with Ryan Gosling) and Damien Chazelle (who you may know from his amazing movie Whiplash) I had to watch La La Land. I’ve already heard a lot about it and got very excited when I finally made it to the cinema to watch it.
I absolutely adored it. Normally, I don’t watch movies twice in the cinema. I’ve watched the LOTR movies about 10 times each (on DVD) but usually I just wait until the movie comes out on DVD. Things were different with this film. I went two times in about one week and I still can’t get enough. I immediately bought the Soundtrack and I listen to it all the time.
The music, the dancing, the story, the actors, the director and everyone who was involved with this film did such a great job that I just can’t describe how much this film made me feel.
It’s about having a career as an artist, love, LA and of course music. Mia (Emma Stone) and Seb (Ryan Gosling) were great characters and there was a great harmony between them.
So let me list what I love about this film. Warning, there will be some Spoilers!
- The songs were pretty much shot in one take (How is that even possible).
- The music is absolutely beautiful. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling (who aren’t professional singers) did an amazing job, as did every other musician involved. The Fools Who Dream still gets me every time I listen to it. To be honest, the whole soundtrack does.
- The camera shots were amazing (p.e. the scene where Mia is talking to Greg but one could only see him in the mirror. and the scene where Seb is playing the piano and Mia is dancing to it)
- They can dance!
- The ending was heartbreaking. Both characters got what they wanted from the beginning, a career. But they had to sacrifice their love to get it. If they would have stayed together Seb would have never made his dream come true and maybe their relationship would have to suffer because of this a few years later. But still, one could see that both are okay with the way things turned out and they are happy that both got what they wanted.
- Also, J.K. Simmons (who played the music teacher terence Fletcher in Whiplash) appeared in La La Land
- Lastly, I feel like I need to add that John Legend is a part of the film, too. Start a Fire is a great song by the way.
So if you haven’t watched the film yet, I absolutely recommend doing so. It’s a great piece of art and just warms my heart every time I think about it.
Let me know what you think about the movie!
I do not own the rights of the photo!